508-763-5924 | 300 Samuel Barnet Blvd., New Bedford MA 02745
New Bedford Recycling
Mayor Jon Mitchell and the Department of Public Facilities place a high priority on recycling. More recycling means less trash, which means longer life for the Crapo Hill Landfill and less expense for the taxpayers.
The City of New Bedford, through its contractor, ABC Disposal, provides for an extensive curbside collection program as follows:
- Recycling pick up for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Trash collection for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Flattened cardboard recycling for small to medium sized businesses (call 508-979-1493 to be added to the route)
- Seasonal grass and leaf collection for residents
- Seasonal brush pick up for residents by appointment
- Bulky waste pick up (one item allowed per building) for couches, chairs, mattresses/box springs and wooden furniture
- Special collection item pick up by appointment (washing machine, dryer, stove, refrigerator, microwave, grill, computer monitor, television, bike and any other metal items). Call ABC Disposal at 508-999-2619.
The City’s Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station is open to New Bedford residents to drop off aerosol containers, antifreeze, books, car batteries, clothing, computer monitors & televisions, fluorescent lamps, furniture, leaves and brush, mercury devices, propane tanks, rechargeable batteries, scrap metal, waste oil and oil filters. No construction or demolition debris is accepted. Please contact New Bedford Waste at 508-992-3667.
The Refuse District organizes two events for New Bedford residents, each held twice a year: 1) household hazardous waste drop off days, and 2) tire recycling drop off days.
REGIONAL PAINT SHED AT THE SHAWMUT AVENUE (NEW BEDFORD) TRANSFER STATION: Closed until Spring
- New Bedford and Dartmouth residents can drop off usable oil and latex paint at the Shawmut Ave Transfer Station @ 1103 Shawmut Ave. Hours are Monday through Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm and on Saturday from 8am to 2pm. This paint is offered free of charge to residents and non-profit groups. Usable paint must be in cans that are almost full, with the original label and in good condition (no rusting).
- Unusable oil-based paint must be held until the next Household Hazardous Waste Day.
- Unusable latex paint can be dried out and placed in the trash. Simply take off the lid and let it dry. Adding kitty litter or dirt will speed up the process. Set out in your regular trash.
For more information, contact Marissa Perez-Dormitzer, District Recycling Coordinator, at (508) 979-1493 or email@example.com.
Recycling Plastic Bags at the Grocery Stores
Recycle CLEAN and DRY plastic bags at the grocery stores. Look near the entrance for a container designated for plastic bags. For more details on what types of plastic films are accepted, please visit the following website: http://
CHRISTMAS TREES COLLECTION
Christmas trees will be collected curbside during the week of January 13, 2014 to January 17, 2014 on the regular trash and recycling day.
For residents who wish to dispose of their trees, there will be drop-off areas located at the following locations:
· East Beach Parking Lot (East of Rodney French Blvd, between Seymour and Hudson streets)
· Transfer Station, Monday-Friday, 7:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. (1103 Shawmut Ave)
· Brooklawn Park (near Pony League field, enter at Irvington St)
· Pine Hill Park (off of Phillips Rd).
Trees must be free to stand, ornaments, and lights and shall not be in bags. If you have any questions, please contact City Yard 508-991-6133.
Map / Information
Calendar of Events
Tire Recycling Drop Off Days
New Bedford and Dartmouth residents only (ID required)
Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 9:00 a.m. to noon
Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station, 1103 Shawmut Ave, New Bedford
Cash or check only
Car Tire $1 each
NO commercial loads
Household Hazardous Waste Days
New Bedford and Dartmouth residents only (ID required). Collection is for households only, not businesses, schools or contractors.
Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 9am-12pm
LOCATION FOR HHW COLLECTION:
The Crapo Hill Landfill
Crapo Hill Directions For more information, call 508-763-5924
All types of household hazardous wastes will be accepted including oil-based paints, paint thinner & waste fuels. NO LATEX PAINTS (dry out latex and throw away in the regular trash).
Paper Shredding Days
September 20, 2014 – 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Parking lot across from New Bedford City Hall
Fee: $5 per box, cash or check only
Open to businesses & residents of New Bedford & the surrounding communities
New Bedford Leaf & Yard Waste Collection
New Bedford: Starts April 7, 2014
Brush is picked up by appointment on the last Wednesday of the month. Please call 508-999-2619 for brush pick up.
New Bedford and Dartmouth residents may now drop off clean polystyrene foam blocks, commonly called Styrofoam, at their community’s transfer station. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Town of Dartmouth DPW - link to DPW Solid Waste page
|Mercury Spill Information|