508-763-5924 | 300 Samuel Barnet Blvd., New Bedford MA 02745
New Bedford Recycling
- Join Us On Facebook
- 2015 New Bedford Recycling Flyer
- HOLIDAY RECYCLING GUIDE
Mayor Jon Mitchell and the Department of Public Facilities place a high priority on recycling. More recycling means less trash, which means longer life for the Crapo Hill Landfill and less expense for the taxpayers.
The City of New Bedford, through its contractor, ABC Disposal, provides for an extensive curbside collection program as follows:
- Recycling pick up for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Trash collection for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Flattened cardboard recycling for small to medium sized businesses (call 508-979-1493 to be added to the route)
- Seasonal grass and leaf collection for residents
- Seasonal brush pick up for residents by appointment
- Bulky waste pick up (one item allowed per building) for couches, chairs, mattresses/box springs and wooden furniture
- Special collection item pick up by appointment (washing machine, dryer, stove, refrigerator, microwave, grill, computer monitor, television, bike and any other metal items). Call ABC Disposal at 508-999-2619.
The City’s Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station is open to New Bedford residents to drop off aerosol containers, antifreeze, books, car batteries, clothing, computer monitors & televisions, fluorescent lamps, furniture, leaves and brush, mercury devices, propane tanks, rechargeable batteries, scrap metal, waste oil and oil filters. The transfer station is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 12:00pm to 5:00pm and Saturday 7:30am to 3:00pm.
No construction or demolition debris is accepted. Please contact New Bedford Waste at 508-992-3667.
Detailed recycling information is available at the City's website at www.newbedfordrecycling.org.
Recycling Plastic Bags at the Grocery Stores
Recycle CLEAN and DRY plastic bags at the grocery stores. Look near the entrance for a container designated for plastic bags. For more details on what types of plastic films are accepted, please visit the following website: www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/s00/index.html. Do not place plastic bags, film, or case wrap in the curbside bins. Plastic film is problematic for the equipment at the recycling facilities. If you have any questions, call the Recycling Office at (508) 979-1493.
Yard Waste Collection
How to Handle Grass and Leaves Easy as only 1 & 2!
1. Prepare your grass, leaves, & twigs.
2. Set out grass and leaves for collection.
How to Handle Brush Easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Prepare your brush. Branches may be no more than four inches in diameter and must be tied securely in bundles not to exceed four feet in length and two feet in width.
2. Call ABC Disposal at (508) 999-2619 to make an appointment. Brush will be collected by appointment during the last week of each month from April to November.
3. Set out your brush by 7:00 a.m. on the day of the appointment.
Map / Information
Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station
1103 Shawmut Ave
New Bedford, MA 02746-1328
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 12:00pm-5:00pm
Recycling Office: 508-979-1493
ABC Disposal: 508-999-2619
Transfer Station: 508 991-6156
Calendar of Events
Household Hazardous Waste Days
New Bedford and Dartmouth residents only (ID required). Collection is for households only, not businesses, schools or contractors.
Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
LOCATION FOR HHW COLLECTION:
The Crapo Hill Landfill
For directions, click the following: Crapo Hill Landfill link.
All types of household hazardous wastes will be accepted including oil-based paints, paint thinner & waste fuels. NO LATEX PAINTS (dry out latex and throw away in the regular trash).
Tire Recycling Day & Sharps Drop Off Days
New Bedford and Dartmouth residents only (ID required)
Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station, 1103 Shawmut Ave, New Bedford
Saturday, April 23, 2016- 9:00am to 12:00pm
Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
Car Tire $1 each
Light duty truck $5 each
Heavy duty truck $15 each (no more than 6 tires)
NO commercial loads
NO tires with a rim diameter greater than 24 inches. Rims are OK.
NO off road equipment tires
Paper Shredding Day
Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 9:00am to 12:00pm
For more information please call Marissa @ 508-979-1493